Mumbai: Kanheri Cave Half Day Tour
0 / 5
Explore Kanheri caves to see Buddhist sculptures and relief carvings, paintings, and inscriptions, dating from the 1st century B.C. Benefit from a hotel transfer and local English-speaking guide as you learn about Buddhist history.
Printed or mobile voucher accepted
Cancel Upto If Cancelled upto 24 Hours in advance for a full refund. Hours in Advance before the tour start time for a full Refund.
Start your private tour with the pick–up from your accommodation in Mumbai, head to the Kanheri Caves, located deep within the green forests of Sanjay Gandhi National Park, one of Asia’s major national parks The caves are a marvelous architectural feat All 109 of them were chiseled and carved out of a huge basaltic rock outcrop
The smaller caves, known as viharas
, served as resting places for the monks The larger caves, known as chaityas
, are lined with various exquisitely carved Buddhist sculptures and were commonly used as places for worship
Depending on your hotel location and the traffic conditions, the drive to Kanheri Caves takes about 1 to 1 5-hours Relax in a comfortable air-conditioned car till you are dropped off at the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, where the caves are situated Your guide will take you around five of the biggest and most significant caves You will also have some free time to explore and walk around on your own
In the main hall stands the towering figure of the Lord Buddha measuring about 7 meters in height The interior has a colonnade of 34 majestically carved pillars The eleven-headed Avalokiteshwara is the most distinctive motif There are about 100 inscriptions in different scripts - Brahmi, Devnagri, Pallavi and Sanskrit
At the end of your tour, head back to your accommodation in Mumbai with excellent memories of the day
- Entrance fees to all site attractions
- Local English-speaking guide
- Hotel pick–up and drop off
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle
- Car Parking
- Entry fee to Sanjay Gandhi National Park (no sightseeing here, only entrance)
Pickup & Meeting Point
We Pick from all hotels located in Mumbai City.
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair; comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Guests are requested to wear modest clothing as this site is of spiritual and religious significance. Please avoid wearing sleeveless tops and short shorts
- These tours run all year. During the rainy season, guests are recommended to carry raincoats/ umbrellas and wear comfortable walking shoes with a firm grip to avoid slippery surfaces